Why Consistent Name, Address, and Phone Number (NAP) is Important for Your Business to be Found Online
NAP is an acronym for Name, Address, and Phone. If you want to be found in online searches, the NAP for your business must be correct and consistent throughout not only Google, but 50+ other online directories. With a consistent name, address, and phone number, search engines and online directories can connect everything related to your business online. Therefore, consistent name, address, and phone number makes it easier for people to find you.
How Do I Know if my Name, Address and Phone Number are Consistent Online?
NAP can have an enormous impact on businesses because it gives customers easy access to the most critical information about your brand. Take the time to make sure your listings are accurate to avoid potential problems in local search engine result pages.
- Search Google to uncover potential incorrect listings as it appears on other websites and directories.
- If you have a website, make sure your NAP information is displayed prominently on your website allowing NAP to be easily read by customers and Google. In addition, make sure the information is text and not an image. This allows Google to scan the information.
Common Reasons for Inconsistent Name, Address, and Phone Number Listings
Inconsistent NAP can be caused by a number of human errors and business changes, including:
- Moving and not updating previously built citations, directory listings, etc.
- Having a different store address to the company registered address and using both online.
- Generating different phone numbers for attribution tracking purposes.
- Never submitting your business to Google or other important aggregators.
There is Power to Having a Fully Optimized Local Business Listing
A fully completed and optimized local business listing submitted to all of the major search engines will bring amazing benefit to your online marketing efforts.
Completed local business listings will outrank partially completed listings. Therefore, your business will beat out others if yours is up to date. As a side note, all major search engines include a maps and directions tool. Including the correct business name, address, and phone number will allow search engines to accurately pinpoint your business on their maps and directions tools.